Cleansing the face with oil is becoming more and more popular because of the significant results many people are seeing! Even well-known skin care companies now have an oil cleanser in their product lineup. Many women have turned to oil cleansing as a way to gently remove makeup, soothe sensitive skin, and tame unrelenting breakouts. Using oils instead of traditional soap or detergent cleansers can also help protect the natural lipid layer of the skin and the good bacteria that live there.
Why Cleanse with Oil?
The Oil Cleansing Method operates on the premise that oil dissolves oil!
Your skin naturally creates oil because it NEEDS it! We are creatures of adaptation, one can believe that if this weren’t the appropriate built-in care for ourselves, our bodies would have adapted to another method of protection. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not produce blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads, whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Cleansing with oil is the most efficient, effective way to cleanse, soothe, and balance your skin.
How to cleanse with Oil.
Use the Oil Cleansing Method in the evening, prior to bed. There is no need for deep cleansing in the morning if you’re waking up with skin that was thoroughly cleansed the night before. The Oil Cleansing Method, along with any other cleansing method, is not going to work to keep your skin clear and balanced if you are sleeping with dirty skin. Make sure your pillowcases are cleaned and washed regularly! In the morning, a quick wipe with a warm washcloth or a rinse in the shower should be more than enough. Over-cleansing your skin will only irritate and cause excess oil production. Here’s how:
- Start with a clean, soft washcloth, your oil cleanser, and hot, running water.
- Pour a a quarter size amount into the palm of your hand.
- Rub your hands together to warm the oil and smooth it over your dry face.
- Begin massaging your cleansing oil into your face. This will remove sunscreen, makeup, dirt, and other impurities, so there is no need to use a makeup remover or wash your face before the massage.
- Gently massage the oil deeply into your pores. Take your time and focus on your problem areas. Work the oil into your pores so that blackheads and impurities can be dissolved and steamed away.
- Once you’re satisfied that you’ve dissolved the grime, pick up your washcloth and soak it in clean, steamy water. You will want the water to be warm enough to soften your pores and remove the oil. Cool water will not soften your pores, nor will it remove the oil efficiently. Also be careful not to scald your skin. You want to steam to coax your pores into releasing the oil carrying the impurities. You are essentially steaming our skin as an esthetician would, but without the luxury of a steam machine.
- Hold the washcloth to cover your face. Allow it to stay until it cools. You will feel your pores softening and releasing the impurities. Wipe the oil gently away and rinse the washcloth well in hot, running water. Hold the washcloth to your face again, allowing it to cool. Wipe gently, rinse thoroughly, and repeat two or three more times. Avoid any temptation to scrub, as you’ll find it’s completely unnecessary and your skin will be soft, smooth, and free of flakes without the additional exfoliation and irritation that will result. Impurities, dead skin cells, and bacteria will be gently removed.
- If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your oil cleansing blend (if homemade or without extra additives such as emulsifiers), rub it between your clean hands and pat it onto your damp skin. Gently massage any oil residue into your skin, so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface.
Important Things to Remember:
The oil cleansing method should be done regularly, but not too frequently. You’ll know if you’re using the oil cleansing method too often by the dryness your skin will exhibit. Please note that you may have unblocked an oil flow for the first few days. Once you remove the old plugs from your pores, they will begin functioning properly again. The process for clearer skin should take a few massages to achieve your goal, you should notice a considerable difference in your skin after the first oil cleansing massage. Give your skin a few days to adjust and adapt to being clean and clear of blockages! The new oil coming from your skin is actually a good sign and will balance out very shortly. You’ll see redness and irritation subsiding.
Oils that are the best for The Oil Cleansing Method:
Sweet almond oil
Apricot kernel oil
Essential Oils to mix in for added benefits:
- Lavender is a circulatory stimulant that has soothing and moisturizing properties that increases blood flow to the skin. This improves the skin’s appearance because it increases the delivery of nutrients and oxygen.
- Frankincense (from the resin of the Boswellia sacra tree), can help strengthen skin and can be used any place your skin sags such as under your eyes, your neck or abdomen. Aging can cause our skin tone to become uneven and create splotches. For sun spots, age spots and uneven skin tone, frankincense essential oil is an excellent choice.
- Chamomile has a calming and soothing impact on skin. It has anti-inflammatory and skin calming properties making it a good choice to remedy dry skin. Chamomile has the ability to penetrate deep into skin layers and promote moisture retention. This essential oil is a great choice for people with sensitive skin.
- Tea tree oil is powerfully antiseptic and can battle against a variety of bacterial infections. It also has antiviral and antifungal properties which is excellent for treating pimples and acne.
- Geranium oil has a beautiful floral scent and is used extensively in skin care products. It balances sebum secretion which makes it useful for both dry and oily skin. This aromatic oil contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Geranium oil can help with acne, dermatitis and other skin conditions by reducing inflammation, fighting bacteria and calming skin. Geranium oil is an astringent and can minimize the appearance of wrinkles by tightening the skin.
- Rose Geranium has a sweet aroma and numerous properties that are great for skin. It cools and tones and has a positive impact on the vascular system. It can help remedy broken capillaries, reduce inflammation, itching, and dryness while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Lemons are refreshing, invigorating and toning for the skin. The antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties make this oil a hydrating remedy for nourishing damaged skin. Research shows that lemon oil is able to reduce cell and tissue damage caused by free radicals. This is due to the oil powerful antioxidant and anti-aging effects.
- Peppermint softens, tones and calms skin and has potent antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. Research published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine found that peppermint oil is an effective remedy for blackheads, dermatitis, inflammation, sunburn, ringworm, scabies and oily skin.
- Myrrh has anti-inflammatory properties that benefit aging skin. This oil helps to improve firmness, skin elasticity, and tone while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, in addition, myrrh helps remedy sun damage, rashes, eczema and chapped skin.
- Carrot seed oil offers potent antioxidant protection that helps skin renew quickly. It works well for skin that has been stressed by the environment. It has a pleasing, rich and earthy aroma and moisturizing capabilities.
- Sandalwood has long been known for its skin-friendly cleansing properties. It soothes your skin. and helps lessen scars, blemishes, spots or eczema on your skin! It is also an effective astringent that tones your skin and rejuvenates it perfectly. People with dry skin can bring their skin back to life with the help of this essential oil!
UPDATE: I have been using this method for about a month and I’m absolutely LOVING IT! My acne has been non existent, my redness has drastically decreased and my face feels so smooth! I strongly encourage you to make your own as it tends to be less expensive as well as better ingredients. You also get the opportunity to customize for your skin type and essential oil choice! If you would rather purchase mine click here. I just became a fan of an amazing essential oil line and would love to share it with you so please connect with me through email or Facebook! Thank you for being here today and please follow me on facebook page so you can stay up to date on any new posts!