What is in most Hand Sanitizer?
As we approach Flu and Cold season, I want to remind everyone of the dangers of your typical hand sanitizer! Sometimes it outweighs the dangers of the germs that you come across throughout the day! Hand sanitizer often has a form of alcohol, such as ethyl alcohol, as an active ingredient and works as an antiseptic. Other ingredients could include water, fragrance, and glycerin. If you have read some of my other posts you will know that anything with the word fragrance on it should not be used on your skin! It is a place where large companies can add in a ton of harmful ingredients and don’t have to tell you what they are! Synthetic fragrances are harmful to your respiratory system!! It only makes sense that you wouldn’t want to harm that area, especially if you are sick or trying not to become sick! If you can’t get to a sink and use regular (non toxic) soap, please buy a hand sanitizer with no toxic ingredients or fragrance.
Triclosan is one of the main ingredients in most hand sanitizers and should be avoided at all costs because of the risks it exudes! The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says triclosan could carry unnecessary risks, given that their benefits have yet to be proved. Some of those dangers are included below!
The Hidden Dangers of Hand Sanitizer
- Antibiotic Resistance – Antibiotics are effective against bacteria. But what happens if your body builds up resistance to antibiotics, and in turn promotes resistance to bacteria? Triclosan contributes to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Using hand sanitizers may actually lower your resistance to diseases by killing good bacteria, which helps protect against bad bacteria.
- Hormone Disruption – The FDA says research shows triclosan may lead to hormonal disruptions and cause bacteria to adapt to its antimicrobial properties, which create more antibiotic-resistant strains. Animal studies have shown that the compound could change the way hormones work in the body, raising concerns and warranting further investigation to better understand how they might affect humans.
- Weaker Immune System – Researchers at University of Michigan School of Public Health found that triclosan may negatively affect human immune function. Compromising the immune system can make people more susceptible to allergies, and more vulnerable to the toxic chemical Bisphenol A, which is found in plastics. In the study, children and teens with higher levels of triclosan were more likely to be diagnosed with hay fever and other allergies.
- Toxic Chemicals – If your hand sanitizer is scented, it’s likely loaded with toxic chemicals. Companies aren’t required to disclose the ingredients that make up their secret scents, and therefore generally are made from dozens of chemicals.
- Alcohol Poisoning – Just because it doesn’t have triclosan, doesn’t meant it’s completely safe. The active ingredient in some hand sanitizers is usually a type of alcohol that acts as an antimicrobial that kills bacteria. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control recommend ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or a mix of both in a concentration of 60% to 95%. In March of 2012, six California teenagers were hospitalized with alcohol poisoning from drinking hand sanitizer, making it the latest in a string of household products used to induce intoxication, ABC News reported. A few squirts of hand sanitizer could equal a couple of shots of hard liquor!!!! The scarier part is that younger children have accidentally ingested it in the past and become sick!
It’s a scary world out there and this article proves that large companies don’t care about you or your family! They do the research and then still choose to add in toxic chemicals to products that are supposed to help! Please do your research on your own hand sanitizer and choose a safe solution for your family! Here are some that I have checked out but please be aware they should be regulated by an adult as they do still contain alcohol! These are affiliate links (when you click on the picture) which simply means you get to purchase some safer alternatives and I get rewarded for sharing them with you.