What is anxiety?
Anxiety, defined by Wikipedia is an emotion characterized by an unpleasant state of inner turmoil, often accompanied by nervous behavior such as pacing back and forth, somatic complaints, and rumination. It is the subjectively unpleasant feelings of dread over anticipated events, such as the feeling of imminent death. Anxiety is not the same as fear, which is a response to a real or perceived immediate threat, whereas anxiety is the expectation of future threat. Anxiety is a feeling of uneasiness and worry, usually generalized and unfocused as an overreaction to a situation that is only subjectively seen as menacing. It is often accompanied by muscular tension, restlessness, fatigue and problems in concentration. Anxiety can be appropriate, but when experienced regularly the individual may suffer from an anxiety disorder.
How YOU can handle anxiety naturally without medication!
- Healing Stone Jewelry – As a healing crystal and stone expert, I’ve had many people come to me seeking relief for anxiety! In the crystal world the 2 best stones for anxiety relief are Amethyst and Blue Lace Agate! Web Jasper can also be an amazing stone as it acts like valium on the nervous system! Wearing or carrying these stones with you at all times and calling on them for healing when your anxiety shines through can make a huge impact on the intensity of the anxiety. I make healing stone bracelets that also include lava beads for infusing with your favorite essential oil!
- Essential Oils can play a large roll in lessening the intensity of an anxiety attack. The oil has to be soothing to you, specifically, so that the aromatherapy can help you calm down. Taking a moment to forget what you are anxious about and taking a deep breathe in with essential oils present is an amazing way to help with the attack!
- Yoga is an incredible tool in reducing the signs of anxiety. Not only will the poses help your posture and flexibility but you will become one with yourself and learn various ways in which to calm yourself down!
- MEDITATE! If you don’t know how there are amazing videos and classes that you can take to learn!
- Drink Tea! A cup of chamomile tea is a common home remedy to calm frayed nerves and promote sleep. A 2009 study showed chamomile may also be a powerful ally against generalized anxiety disorder. The study found people who took German chamomile capsules (220 milligrams up to five times daily) had a greater reduction in scores for tests that measure anxiety symptoms than those who were given a placebo.
- Therapy can also have a great impact on anxiety relief. Seeking professional help can focus on the root of the problem and possibly fix. You can learn ways to help deal with it… just make sure you let your therapist know right off that you are not interested in medication!
- MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS! You have probably read the article I wrote on this but it is worth recapping! Mushrooms help balance your mind and body, helping to ease anxiety symptoms. I personally drink a mushroom coffee (which has never given me the jitters or made me anxious!) and tea as well as take a mushroom supplement.
Everyday tonics that can help ease your body adjust to anxiety and stress:
- Ginger is helpful to sharpen your brain and reduce stress. Use this recipe to make your own! Fresh ginger is the most effective.
- Maca Powder mixed with the other amazing ingredients in this recipe could act like your morning coffee and help reduce symptoms of anxiety greatly!
- Sip matcha for a clean, jitter-free buzz. Matcha contains flavonoids and L-theanine, which is historically known for its relaxing effects. L-theanine increases the brain’s alpha frequency band, relaxing the mind without causing drowsiness. You can use the same recipe for Maca Powder! 😊
- Turmeric! Curcumin, the bioactive compound found in turmeric, has been linked to treating anxiety, depression, and more — possibly due to it boosting serotonin and dopamine levels. Research has suggested that it may actually be just as effective as Prozac with far fewer side effects. It can be added to anything as it blends nicely! I put it in my smoothies and sprinkle it on my salad! It has many other healthy benefits as well! ❤
- Ashwagandha – If you’re not familiar with this adaptogen, it’s a good time to learn. Adaptogens are naturally occuring substances that help our bodies deal with and adapt to stress. Ashwagandha in particular is a stress-fighting superstar. This adaptogen has been shown to aid in anxiety relief, fight fatigue, and reduce cortisol levels. Try this recipe!
Avoid these items when trying to relieve anxiety:
- CAFFEINE: If you have chronic anxiety, caffeine is not your friend. Caffeine may cause nervousness and jitters, neither of which is good if you’re anxious. Research has shown caffeine may cause or worsen anxiety disorders. It may also cause panic attacks in people with panic disorder. In some people, eliminating caffeine may significantly improve anxiety symptoms.
- SMOKING: Smokers often reach for a cigarette during stressful times. Yet, like drinking alcohol, taking a drag on a cigarette when you’re stressed is a quick fix that may worsen anxiety over time. Research has shown that the earlier you start smoking in life, the higher your risk of developing an anxiety disorder later. Research also suggests nicotine and other chemicals in cigarette smoke alter pathways in the brain linked to anxiety.
- ALCOHOL: Alcohol is a natural sedative. Drinking a glass of wine, beer or whiskey when your nerves are shot may calm you at first, however once the buzz is over your anxiety may return with a vengeance. If you rely on alcohol to relieve anxiety instead of treating the root of the problem, you may develop alcohol dependence. NOT GOOD
As you can see from this post there are a number of ways to help you handle anxiety without the toxic medicine that doctors love to prescribe! Find what works for you but don’t hesitate to try them all to figure it out, even if you don’t think it’s “for you”. Anxiety isn’t fun and no one should have to suffer from it without learning some ways to relieve it! LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE and don’t let anxiety live it for you! Peace and thank you for joining me here on my website! As always please don’t hesitate to contact me through Facebook or email! (This article has affiliate links means you get great products at no additional cost to you!)