11 Things You Should DIY Naturally and Stop Buying!
As a busy mom I know this doesn’t resonate well with other fellow busy mommas, but think about it for a second!!! If you could make your own products that are natural with less chemicals and toxins AND save money, doesn’t that sound FANTASTIC? I was surprised at the things on this list that I have bought for so long and will be participating in DIY Naturally making these products! Get the kids involved as an added bonus! 🙂
Things You Should DIY Naturally and Stop Buying: FOOD
1. KETCHUP: When I say this word the one thing that comes to mind that companies add in is high fructose corn syrup! YUCK! Make your own with simple ingredients!
6 oz tomato paste 1 small can or 3 Tablespoons
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
If you use less than 1/2 c cider vinegar, add water to a total of 1/2 c liquid. We like the full 1/2 c, but you may prefer it less vinegary. Recipe keeps well in the fridge, so it can easily be doubled and stored for a few weeks.
2. MAYONNAISE: Again Mayo tends to have weird, unnecessary added ingredients that don’t make it any better!
- 2 whole pastured eggs
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. prepared mustard
- 2 cups light tasting olive oil (not a vegetable blend and NOT extra virgin)
- Immersion blender: Add eggs, vinegar, salt, mustard and oil into a WIDE mouth quart Mason jar. Add immersion blender and blend. Move immersion blender up as mayo forms at the bottom. Mayo is ready once all of the oil has been incorporated. Takes about 30-45 seconds!Food processor: Blend eggs, vinegar, salt, and mustard in food processor. While machine is running, slowly add oil, VERY SLOWLY!! Continue until all of the oil has been added and the eggs and oil have formed an emulsion or Mayonnaise. Taste for salt and adjust if needed. Takes about 6-8 minutes.Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
3. PEANUT BUTTER: My house goes through a ridiculous amount of peanut butter and it is a struggle to find it with no added sugar! Not any one of us need sugar in our peanut butter because we love it without! This may take a bit more time that the other recipes and I don’t want to miss a step so head over to pinterest or use this recipe here.
Make sure you are using unblanched and raw peanuts for the healthiest, less toxic option possible!
4. NUTELLA: This is a product that I personally LOVE but won’t buy it because it is expensive and has way too much sugar and ingredients I don’t love feeding my family! This amazing momma blogger has the recipe that she uses and adds in other recipes that LOOK AMAZING! Head on over to get these amazing recipes, I know I will!
5.BUTTER: Instead of buying preservative laden, super high calorie heavy butter from the store, make your own butter with just 4 ingredient and a standard kitchen mixer…so simple yet so tasty.
1 Carrot (Optional but what a great way to get some veggies in!)
1/4 cup Milk (optional)
1 quart heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
- (Optional) Peel & finely grate a carrot. Heat in small saucepan with 1/4 cup milk until bubbly. Use a clean cheesecloth to strain orange colored milk int the bowl of a stand mixer. Discard shredded carrot.
- Pour cream into bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add Salt. Cover mixer with a towel, turn mixer on high.
- Continue mixing, checking on mixture frequently. It will first turn to whipped cream, then begin to get grainy and separate into butter and buttermilk. The butter is ready when it sticks in a clump to the paddle.
- Place colander over a bowl, strain the buttermilk off the butter.
- Using your hands or a spatula, press out excess buttermilk under cold running water until water runs clear. Shape into stick or ball. You are done!
Things You Should DIY Naturally and Stop Buying: Personal Care Products
6. CLEANSING WIPES: With small children (and a husband) in my home these are a necessity! It seems like it may be the end of the world when they run out, but fear no more momma to the rescue! This simple method of making my own will save me money and guarantee to always be in stock! Maybe I’ll have them make them just in case I don’t have time one day! I’ll send you over to a great recipe but make sure you use natural baby soap or castile soap, PLEASE!
7. MOUTH WASH: So easy and when you make it toxin free you don’t have to worry about accidentally swallowing it!
1 cup distilled, filtered or boiled water
2-3 drops peppermint essential oil
Mix together in a clean container. Shake before each use. Store in glass container or out of sunlight as it will cause the essential oils to be less effective!
8. BODY WASH: SO EXPENSIVE, especially if you are buying a natural or organic kind and SO FULL of chemicals if you are not! Make your own to suit your senses and clean up with a scent that makes you happy! We only get a few minutes to shower in a day so make the most of it and lift your spirits!
2/3 cup castile soap (find it here)
1/4 cup raw honey
2 teaspoons oil – jojoba, almond, grapeseed or olive)
1 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
50 – 60 drops essential oil (have fun mixing them up)
Measure out all ingredients and combine in a squirt top bottle. Shake gently before each use!
NOTES: If your raw honey is creamy and thick, warm it a bit to liquify before adding with other ingredients.
Things You Should DIY Naturally and Stop Buying: Household
9. AIR FRESHENERS: I avoid this aisle at the grocery store AT ALL COSTS! I hate the chemically scents that I smell and instantly get a headache from the artificial ingredients and fragrances they use in these! Here is an easy toxin free way to make your house smell good and your body away from toxins! Feel free to play around with essential oils to get the scent that you love the most!
- 1 ounce unflavored Gelatin (4 envelopes of knox powdered gelatin)
- 2 cups Cold water, divided
- 1 tbs salt
- 20 1 30 drops 100% Essential oils
Bring one cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the boiling water and whisk until smooth and the gelatin is dissolved. Add the salt and the second cup of cold water and whisk. Set aside. Add the desired amount of essential oil. Quickly pour the hot liquid gelatin over the essential oil. Stir in glass jar. Allow to cool, uncovered. Place wherever you want a lovely scent in your home!
10. FOAMING HAND SOAP: SO EASY!!!
- Fill a foaming soap pump (like this one) 1/3 full with Castile Soap. I like Dr. Bronner’s or Vermont Soap!)
- add 10-30 drops essential oil (I like Plant Therapy Tea Tree or Lemon)
- Fill the rest with water.
- The bottle will automatically change it into foam when pumped!
Clicking on this picture will bring you straight to an affiliate link Amazon.
11. Fabric Softener: Super easy and will reduce the toxins in your home!
- 3 cups warm water
- 1.5 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup natural conditioner
- essential oil (optional, and you can control how scented it is!)
You can also opt for toxin free dryer balls to add to the overall laundry care procedure! A regular dryer sheet has more toxins in it than you could ever imagine! If you have an alpaca farm around you I would see if they make dryer balls because they are awesome! Otherwise you could try these:
In closing, there are SO MANY DIY Naturally recipes out there for you to explore! I LOVE Pinterest and tend to pin or be on group boards with people who have amazing recipes! Visit me on my page to find all of the DIY things that I love! If you have any questions or comments connect with me on FB or shoot me an email! Good luck to you on this DIY Naturally journey and go take a vacation with the money you will save!